The Myths of Osteoporosis
Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bones become thinner, making them more weak and brittle. The bones can become so brittle that even a cough or bending over can cause a fracture. People with osteoporosis often break bones in the hip, spine, and wrist. If you are suffering from osteoporosis, Madison Physical Therapy can help you treat it by improving your overall bone health.
The causes for osteoporosis include:
- Age, as it mostly affects adults over the age of 50.
- A poor calcium diet.
- Hormone levels that are too high or too low.
- Small body frame.
- Genetics & family history
At first, people are not aware that they have osteoporosis until a fracture occurs. It is often called the “silent disease” because there are no actual symptoms until a bone is fractured. The best way to diagnose osteoporosis and measure your bone density is a specialized x-ray called the DEXA.
Your physical therapist can also determine whether or not you have osteoporosis by your diet, hormonal, and family history. They are also specially trained to develop a program that can help improve your overall bone health. These programs normally include special exercises designed to promote healthier bone integrity, posture, and balance.
Treatment ultimately depends on your bone density. Medication such as Boniva and Fosamax can be used for patients with osteoporosis or those who have an increased risk for fractures. A patient may also receive injections such as Prolia and Forteo in order to improve overall bone density. Osteoporosis can be prevented by improving your overall bone strength and health. This can be done by doing proper exercises, having an active lifestyle, and increasing your overall calcium and vitamin D intake. Maintaining a good posture and balance can also help prevent osteoporosis.
Bone health can be improved at any age, not just when you get older and getting the right treatment for osteoporosis is important. If you are a Brooklyn, New York resident looking to treat osteoporosis, give Madison Physical Therapy a call to set up an appointment today! For years, Madison PT has been addressing a variety of physical therapy needs for patients in and around the Sheepshead and Bay Ridge areas.
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018