Rowing and Physical Therapy
Rowing is a great way to stay in shape, but if you row incorrectly this could lead to a numerous amount of injuries. It is very important to have the correct technique. If you've been injured from a rowing accident, our physical therapy in Brooklyn can help you bounce back! Three most common row mistakes are:
- Forward head posture
- This is when your head tends to drift in front of your shoulders.
- This is when you have overactive upper traps and leads to a lot of neck stiffness and pain.
- Lastly, the head forward shoulder shrug
- Your neck gets extremely strained, your shoulder blades are out of position, and your shoulder joint are being stressed.
Here are some keys to perfecting a great rowing technique:
- Your torso should swing from an 11-o’clock angle and finish at a 1 o'clock angle at the catch.
- Your knees should stay down until your handle passes them.
- Your hands should never stop moving.
- There will be a slight pause of the torso at the finish while your hands move away from your body.
- The handle should move straight back and forth.
- Your shins should come to vertical at the catch.
- There is a 1 X 2 ratio between the drive and recovery.
Your toes should maintain contact with your foot throughout the whole stroke.
Overall, people who have chronic neck and back pain usually have poor posture while rowing, but it can be easily fixed if you seek help from a professional! Madison Physical Therapy in Sheepshead Bay will help resolve your technique and prevent future injuries. Back injuries are most common when involving yourself in rowing. No need to worry though because Physical therapists can manually incorporate techniques, exercises or stretching to increase mobility in motions you're not usually used to. Physical therapists are also aware of female specific issues and youth issues in rowers!
At Madison Physical therapy, our main goal is to get you back to what you are doing as fast as possible. We treat people from all ages and those who try to get that fluid motion back quickly, including those of you who suffer from rowing injuries! Located in Sheepshead Bay, our physical therapy in Brooklyn can help with those aches and pains today!
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018