Arthritis is characterized by an inflammation of the joints. The most common types of arthritis are rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. In Rheumatoid arthritis, the autoimmune disease causes the body’s immune system to attack its on tissue. Symptoms include fever, and loss of joint function. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease that decreases the amount of cartilage in or around certain joints. Symptoms include clicking or cracking sounds when the joint bends and joint swelling. In both cases, there is joint stiffness and a tenderness or pain in the joints. If you're looking for physical therapy in Brooklyn to give you the care you need, Madison Physical Therapy can help today.
Injuries and infections to joint areas can contribute to the cause of arthritis. In some cases, genes have proven a factor in a person’s susceptibility to rheumatoid arthritis. Typical arthritis treatments feature:
- Medication - some medications used to treat arthritis include Vicodin, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen
- Surgery - surgery can replace your injured/damaged joint with an artificial one
- Physical Therapy - physical therapy can be used to restore the muscle strength of the injured/damaged joint
Madison Physical Therapy, located in Brooklyn NY, offers arthritis treatment services that reduce your joint pain. Physical therapist will focus on improving your movement abilities by using exercises to maintain fitness and increase muscle strength. You’ll be taught proper posture and how to move your body during common day to day activities in ways that reduce pain. If needed, your physical therapist will teach you how to properly use assisting devices such as walkers or a cane. You might require the use of splints or braces to add support to the joints in pain while on your way to recovery. Lastly, your physical therapist will suggest life/environment changes to prevent new arthritis pain in the future such as orthopedic inserts for your shoes or memory foam mats in your kitchen.
To request an appointment at Madison Physical Therapy in Brooklyn, at either their Bay Ridge or Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn locations click here!
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018