Arthritis and Age
It is the unfortunate truth that many older people simply accept their joint pain as part of the aging process, and convince themselves that nothing can be done to help them. However, it is likely that the pain is being caused by arthritis and can be treated to relieve pain. Our physical therapy in Brooklyn at Madison Physical Therapy is ready to give you the treatment you need today.
Arthritis is inflammation of the joints and is most commonly seen in adults over the age of 65. Many people with arthritis notice their symptoms are more prominent in the morning. Common symptoms of arthritis are:
- Decreased range of motion
At Madison Physical Therapy in Brooklyn, we can help treat your arthritis. We will first determine which type of arthritis you have. The two types of arthritis are Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Damaged joints is one reason why people get arthritis. Some forms of arthritis are caused by diminished amounts of cartilage. Cartilage is responsible for absorbing pressure and shock in the joints. Injury or infection can speed up the rate of cartilage loss. This wear and tear damage to the joints is called Osteoarthritis.
The other type of arthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis is caused by an autoimmune disease. Essentially what happens is that the immune system attacks the membrane which encapsulates the joint parts. As a result, the lining becomes inflamed. The following risk factors increase one’s chances of getting arthritis:
- Gender (women are at higher risk)
- Previous joint injury
- Family history
Our Physical Therapists in Brooklyn have a few goals when it comes to treating your arthritis:
- Decrease your pain level
- Reduce inflammation
- Prevent additional joint damage
- Improve joint function
Your treatment at Madison Physical Therapy in Brooklyn will consist of exercises that will strengthen the muscles surrounding the affected joints. We will work with you to create a treatment plan that will decrease your pain and get you back to your life. If you are over 65 and have joint pain, don’t ignore it! Give us a call, we can help.
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018