Improving Osteoporosis Symptoms
Osteoporosis is a bone disease that hinders the body’s ability to make bone and weakens them, resulting in fractures that can be caused by falls. Translated to “porous bones,” osteoporosis puts holes in the bone, weakening bone density and strength. Because of these issues, it’s important to treat the symptoms of osteoporosis before it gets too serious. Our physical therapy in Brooklyn can help rehabilitate any falls and injuries related to osteoporosis, giving you the best care to recover.
All around the world, osteoporosis is responsible for 8.9 million fractures a year, meaning that there’s an osteoporotic fracture every three seconds. This shocking statistic shows the importance of checking the symptoms of a bone disease as soon as possible. If you’re already seeing evidence or signs of osteoporosis, these are some ways you can improve your symptoms:
- Stop drinking soda: the acid and sugar in soft drinks are fended off by the calcium your body produces. However, because of the amount of calcium that must be used to subdue the acids, the body’s blood calcium levels become lower, which results in calcium in the bones being pulled to neutralize the acids. This lost calcium results in weaker bones.
- Stress reduction: when the body is stressed, it produces cortisol. Too much cortisol can result in calcium being pulled from the bones. The best way to reduce stress can be anything from meditating to working out.
- Increase vitamin D: increasing the level of vitamin D in the body can be achieved by laying in the sun, but taking supplements is also a great substitution. Vitamin D is responsible for stronger bones and can help reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Exercise: walking, push-ups, or weight-lifting helps increase bone density. Aside from the physical benefits, exercise also has been shown to increase mental stability. Our Brooklyn physical therapists can recommend workouts that can be implemented to improve your injuries and strength.
While it may be stressful to learn you have the symptoms of osteoporosis, there are countless steps that can be taken to assure the stability of your bone health. If you’ve experienced weakness in your bones or have broken bones as a result of falling, Madison Physical Therapy in Brooklyn can treat your injuries and will work with you to recover to full health.
For more information on osteoporosis treatments, contact us today!
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018