How Winter Weather Can Affect Your Arthritis
When the weather is nippy outside, this can makearthritis more painful for those who suffer from it. If you are looking for a physical therapist in Sheepshead Bay, Madison Physical Therapy is here to help!
Using cold and warm compresses can help treat numbness, and ice packs can help with pain relief. Exercising at home is important to not only staying in shape but also keeping your joints healthy. During the wintertime, your joints may feel stiffer, so it is important to take care of yourself and your arthritis during the winter months. While the cold weather outside may make you more tempted to stay inactive, this is when it is most important to keep your joints healthy.
To take care of your arthritis in the wintertime, try some of these easy indoor activities that you can try.
- \Yoga or Pilates classes
- Indoor swimming
- Taking the stairs instead of elevator
- >Walking indoors
- Stretching or doing light exercises at home while watching TV
While these may be simple, they will help you stay active in the wintertime, without having to stress yourself out too much in terms of exercise. In addition to these simple exercises, there are other simple things you can do to prevent your joints from numbing up and becoming stiff. To relieve your arthritis pain in the winter, be sure to stay hydrated, and dress in warm layers. Wear supportive, comfortable shoes to prevent falling on snow or ice.
At Madison Physical Therapy, we are there to help you with all of your arthritis needs. Our physical therapists in Sheepshead will show you what exercises you can practice at home that suits your personal needs, as well as what clothing you should wear, or what vitamins you can take to stay in shape during the colder months. We want you to be able to enjoy the colder weather in a safe, healthier way.
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018