What is Sciatica
What is Sciatica
Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve becomes irritated. It is usually felt in the lower extremities, especially the lower back and along the thigh. Known as the largest nerve in the human body, the sciatic nerve extends from the lower back to the buttocks. The discomfort that sciatica can bring is sometimes very difficult to live with. At Madison Physical Therapy, our physical therapy in Brooklyn can assure that your pain will be gone and that you can get back to doing what you love.
Symptoms of Sciatica
Sciatica is pain that could be acute or severe. Many people experience sciatic pain lasting up to eight weeks at a time. Sciatica makes everyday tasks very difficult and painful and could compromise one’s quality of life. While sciatica is painful, some people are unaware of what exactly they’re feeling. It’s important to know exactly what the symptoms are so that you know if you’re suffering from sciatica:
- Pain in the lower back, hips, or legs
- Numbness in feet or legs
- Inability to stand due to constant pain or pressure in the body
How to prevent sciatica
- Exercise can help strengthen your muscles which in the long run can help prevent sciatica. There are several exercises that could help relieve and treat sciatica pain.
- Stretching can help ease the pain by releasing muscle tension. It is important to stretch everyday to begin with but if you suffer from pain stretching more often is helpful.
- Practice good posture. Good posture leads to spinal alignment which could prevent sciatica.
- Physical therapy in Brooklyn could help relieve pain and aid in prevention better than one could alone. Madison Physical Therapy works with >sciatica patients every day to help treat their pain.
How can Madison Physical Therapy help?
Physical therapy in Brooklyn is an essential part of regaining strength and eliminating pain in your body. Here at Madison Physical Therapy, we give our patients personalized care after evaluating their symptoms. We not only want to treat your pain, but we want to strengthen your body to prevent possible future injuries. We are experts in rehabilitating our clients back to health, and we work every day to keep our patients' pain under control. If you or someone you know suffers from sciatica, contact us today or schedule an appointment online today!
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018