What To Do About Shoulder Bursitis?
Are you suffering from swelling and redness between your arm and the tip of your shoulder? You might be experiencing shoulder bursitis. Bursitis is a painful condition that is usually caused from overuse or a former shoulder injury. If you are suffering from shoulder bursitis, our physical therapy near Dyker Heights can help you. Here at Madison Physical Therapy, our physical therapist will be able to treat your shoulder bursitis and help you manage your symptoms.
What is bursitis of the shoulder?
Bursitis of the shoulder will develop from an inflamed bursa, which are small fluid-filled sacs that are located throughout the joints. Theses sacs protect the tendons by acting as a cushion between joints, bones, and tendons. However, if the shoulder bursa gets irritated, it can grow in size and become inflamed, causing less space for the muscles and tendons in the shoulders to move. An inflamed bursa can eventually lead to pain and a reduction in shoulder mobility.
Symptoms of bursitis of the shoulder
Symptoms of shoulder bursitis may include the following:
- Pain when the shoulder is touched
- Pain around the outside or tip of the shoulder
- welling and redness around the shoulder
- Limited range of movement
- Pain when you raise the arm.
How to treat shoulder bursitis
For those experiencing shoulder bursitis, there are a few treatment options available. Some treatments for shoulder bursitis may include the following:
- Anti-inflammatory: In addition to pain relief, aspirin or ibuprofen can significantly reduce swelling and inflammation of your shoulder.
- Rest: Reducing shoulder movement can help stop your injury from getting worse while also giving it the time it needs to heal.
- Physical therapy exercises: Our physical therapist provides you with several exercises for your shoulder bursitis. These daily exercises are designed to strengthen your shoulder muscles. Some of these exercises may include shoulder rotation, door presses, or stick lifts.
At Madison Physical Therapy, our team of physical therapists is committed to providing hands-on individual care to help treat your bursitis of the shoulder. Contact us today, and see how physical therapy near Dyker Heights can help you.
- Hip Replacement Recovery ExercisesJune 28, 2019
- Physical Therapy for TendonitisJune 24, 2019
- Men’s Health MonthJune 17, 2019
- Recovering from a DislocationApril 27, 2019
- Relief for Back SpasmsApril 19, 2019
- Recovery from a DiscectomyMarch 26, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Your Balance DisorderMarch 19, 2019
- Get Ready for Baseball Season!March 9, 2019
- What Are Nerve Entrapments?January 10, 2019
- Physical Therapy for Joint ReplacementDecember 23, 2018